Short Story Contest
High school students from across the Washington Metropolitan Area are invited to submit short stories to the Gaithersburg Book Festival Short Story Contest.
To participate, your story must be no longer than 1,000 words.
- Deadline: February 17, 2017, by midnight ET
- Stories must be submitted electronically as a Word document to: email@example.com
- Submissions must include author’s name, home address, phone number, e-mail address, school, grade (9, 10, 11 or 12), and English/writing teacher’s name.
- Author must be a high school student (public, private or homeschooled, grades 9-12, in the 2016-17 school year) at time of entry.
- Author must live in Maryland, Virginia or Washington, D.C.
- Only one submission per author.
- Up to 12 stories will be selected as finalists. The finalists will have their stories posted on the Gaithersburg Book Festival website prior to the Book Festival.
- The top three stories will be announced at the Gaithersburg Book Festival on Saturday, May 21, 2016. First, 2nd and 3rd place winners will receive $100, $75 and $50 gift certificates, respectively, provided by the Johns Hopkins Montgomery County Campus. A fan favorite story, selected by voting on the website, will receive a $25 gift certificate.
For complete rules and more information, download the 2017 Short Story Contest flyer (Color PDF).
If you’re interested in receiving an annual notice about contest, please email writingcontest@